Walk in Footsteps of Mankind
4 nights from £1,630 pp
Includes: accommodation, all meals, guides, transfers, trekking & activities.
Overview & Highlights
This is a trek back through millennia of evolution from the relatively recent hominid footprints right by Lake Natron Camp, all the way to Olduvai, commonly known as “one of the most important paleoanthropological sites in the world” and home to evidence of our earliest ancestors.
Each camp location and design appeals to adventurous travellers who are looking for an off the beaten track experience, entirely respectful of the environment, and yet just enough comfort to ensure a superlative well balanced adventure.
Hiking the Gregorian Rift Valley, Sanjan Gorge, Gol, Olduvai Gorge, witnessing untouched Maasai culture, being immersed into places people have never been before, stunning views, the migration (if timed right), off the beaten track, going back in time from old footsteps to new.
- Hiking the Gregorian Rift Valley, Sanjan Gorge, Gol, Olduvai Gorge
- Witnessing unchanged Maasai culture, being immersed into places visitors have never been before
- Stunning landscapes, volcanoes, gorges, waterfalls and lakes.
- Off the beaten track, going back in time from old footsteps to new.
“Walking literally in footsteps of our ancient ancestors, through the volcanic rift valley landscapes of Northern Tanzania will give you a deep insight into the beginning of mankind on a journey that could change your life...”
This is a 5 day itinerary with 2 nights spent at Lake Natron Camp and two nights at trekking camps in the crater highlands. Olduvai gorge is known as the ‘Cradle of Mankind’ and this trekking expedition offers routes either to or from this area incorporating the history of mankind, geology and landscapes spanning 250 million years.
You can time this expedition with the great migration in the short grass plains of the Ngorongoro crater and Serengeti, or add a Tanzanian safari at any time of year before or after your trek.
Starting with a transfer from Arusha to Lake Natron, there are a number of different treks which we can put together for you, starting or ending with stunning Lake Natron Camp.
- Day 1: Drive to Lake Natron Camp, overnight Lake Natron Camp (fb)
- Day 2: Overnight at Lake Natron Camp and taking part in activities (fb) Lake Natron has a number of activities that are very easily combined with dawn walks and sundowners and in the middle of the day there is the nearby Ngare Sero gorge that you can walk to and options of long hikes to the source or shorter hikes to waterfalls. There is a natural pool at camp and fish that love to give you a free fish pedicure! Just the thing to pamper your feet before you set off on a hike up the rift valley tomorrow.
- Day 3: Trek to Sanjan, overnight Sanjan Camp (fb) Trek 6km. Drive 22km After breakfast you depart to the bottom of the rift valley and start your trek to Sanjan. The hike this morning is up the rift valley, following the migration routes of the Maasai and their cattle as they move to find pasture. Once on top of the rift valley you trek to meet our vehicle and transfer across the vast Salei plains to Sangan Gorge (note that the wildebeest migration is often here from December – May). Picnic lunches are provided to ensure you reach your goal well fed. You will be met by your camp crew when you reach your destination and you can go trek deep into Sanjan Gorge or just relax by the camp fire with a glass of wine!
- Day 4: Trek to Piyaya, overnight Piyaya Camp (fb) Trek 10km. Drive 4km The camp is set at the base of the Gol mountains and faces east, which affords a stunning sunrise! Bush coffee is served right from the fire and after a filling breakfast you set of with your Maasai guides along the sides of the Sanjan gorge. It is very rocky underfoot in places and so good shoes are a must and at certain points be sure to look back for stunning views. Once through the gorge you meander your way and then transfer to camp to relax.
- Day 5: Transfer to Nasera Rock gate & depart Drive 4km When you get to Nasera Rock you will be met by your driver who will then take you on to your the next part of your itinerary via Olduvai Gorge
This is just one example of a trekking adventure through the Great Rift Valley. We can create your own bespoke holiday to Tanzania to include a trek as part of a longer trip and safari, or maybe climb Ol Donyo Lengai or add a trek to the ‘roof of Africa’ Kilimanjaro!
International flights and transfers can be added to create a complete protected package from the UK.
“Thank you for a fabulous tailor-made holiday to Northern Tanzania, your knowledge of East Africa was second to none (and I made the summit of Kilimanjaro!)“James Hodgson
Let us begin the journey that will create memories to last a lifetime.