Wildlife of Costa Rica
15 days from £5,250pp
Includes: accommodation, transport, selected excursions, local guides & expert tour operator
Overview & Highlights
On this wildlife focused holiday you explore the Caribbean jungle channels and mangrove forests of the Tortuguero reserve; bathe in naturally heated thermal springs in the shadow of the picture-perfect Arenal volcano and cruise through wetlands sheltering thousands of migrating birds.
Head on to explore the little-visited but bird-prolific Bosque de Paz cloud forest reserve.
Finally, move on to the Pacific coast and another wildlife experience at a jungle lodge on the remote Osa Peninsula.
- Guided boat excursion in Tortuguero National Park
- Guided excursion to the Ecotermales hot springs at Arenal
- Birdwatching at Cano Negro Reserve with naturalist guide
- Whale and dolphin watching, Corcovado National Park
- Guided hiking in Corcovado National Park
“Costa Rica is a must see wildlife destination. Friendly and safe and relatively small, it’s easy to pack a lot into a two week trip. Our winter is the best time to travel and with direct flights to San Jose it’s the perfect wintersun holiday with a huge diversity of flora and fauna.”
This trip combines a small, friendly mid-range hotel in San José with well-equipped rooms with private bathroom with comfortable, eco-friendly but not luxurious wildlife and beach lodges, well located for wildlife observation.
Transport includes 3 flights by light aircraft; 4 scenic road and road and boat journeys.
Our suppliers carefully select their local partners, some of whom they have worked with for over 25 years. Their English-speaking guides understand the expectations of our clients very well. On this particular trip we use specialist naturalist guides where possible.
To visit in turtle nesting season, July – August are the best months.
- Day 1: Arrive in San Jose & transfer to hotel
- Day 2: By air and river to Tortuguero Jungle Reserve
- Day 3: Wildlife spotting excursion and village visit in Tortuguero
- Day 4: At leisure
- Day 5: Fly and drive to Arenal volcano area
- Day 6: Guided wildlife spotting expedition
- Day 7: Guided excursion to the Ecotermales hot springs
- Day 8: Transfer to Bajos del Toro
- Day 9: Optional guided tour of a nature reserve
- Day 10: At leisure with optional jungle walks
- Day 11: Transfer to airstrip and fly to Pacific Coast Osa Peninsula, transfer to lodge
- Day 12: Snorkelling expedition; whale and dolphin watching (in season)
- Day 13: Wildlife spotting hike in Corcovado National Park
- Day 14: Transfer to airstrip and fly to San Jose
- Day 15: Transfer to airport for flight home
This is just one example of a holiday to Costa Rica, which is booked on a private, tailor made basis. We can also create a bespoke itinerary to suit and offer small group tours to Costa Rica. All our holidays offer flight inclusive protected packages.
Costa Rica is also perfect for family holidays.
“It was such an amazing trip, everything went like clockwork. The wildlife was fantastic, noises unreal. Monkeys in the trees above the lodges at Tortuguero were mesmerising. Fell in love with Helga the Sloth at Toucan Rescue Ranch! Loved the butterflies and tasted the best coffee ever.“Denise & Carl
Let us begin the journey that will create memories to last a lifetime.